Mechanical Build Engineer - Satellites
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL BUILD ENGINEER – SATELLITES
- Create comprehensive engineering documentation and assembly level work instructions necessary for the transition from prototype to production including both written and visual work instructions.
- Perform a hands-on engineering and liaison role between design engineering and our production organization as SpaceX moves new designs from concept, through prototype, and into production.
- Troubleshoot and disposition fabrication issues on prototype and production assemblies on an aggressive production schedule.
- Participate in design reviews to improve design for manufacturability, procurement cost, and quality control.
- Perform manufacturing assessments of new designs and drive optimization for manufacturability and cost.
- Understand vehicle performance at the system level to be able to validate the as-built vehicle is “go for launch”.
- Review test data and support anomaly investigation and resolution.
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering
- 1+ year of experience with system level integration of mechanical assemblies, machining, sheet metal fabrication, or system level testing; significant academic projects, internships, and traditional professional experience all qualify.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Advanced degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering
- Experience with 3D CAD software (Unigraphics, Solidworks or similar).
- Experience with written and visual work instructions.
- Experience with GD&T and DFX.
- Experience with basic machining operations: mill, lathe, drill press, etc.
- Experience with assembly and manufacturing of prototype designs
- Experienced in specifying and qualifying materials and components for space flight
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together.
- Experience working in project teams such as Formula SAE or Hybrid Electric Vehicle.
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Able to travel to travel to other SpaceX sites as needed
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.