SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Foundry Technician will be responsible for operating and maintaining the equipment associated with producing vacuum investment casting components. This may include pattern making, pattern assembly, shelling, pattern removal, melting, shell removal, grinding, or other required processes. A successful candidate has a high level of attention to detail, an inquisitive approach, and is eager to learn new things.
- Provide materials and process support to all aspects of investment casting including, SLA/wax pattern making, investing, burnout, melting, finishing, heat treatment and NDE
- Take initiative in problem solving, cost reductions, and process improvement
- Work with design engineers and tooling engineers to take products from design to production
- Define first article requirements, oversee testing and review results
- Work with quality engineers to reduce defects and maintain high yield rates
- Provide hands-on support to manufacturing and test areas when developing prototype and production hardware
- Travel to suppliers when necessary
- Coordinate, plan, and execute to satisfy development and production requirements
- 5+ years of professional experience in a manufacturing environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of professional experience with investment casting operations
- Experience with titanium, super alloy and aluminum casting manufacturing processes including pattern making, die design, process control, product design standards, and quality systems
- Strong knowledge of casting solidification science and casting defect formation mechanisms
- Experience with foundry laboratory controls
- Demonstrated research ability and strong project execution skills with a customer focus
- Knowledge of TS 16949/ISO 9000 requirements
- Knowledge of casting simulation programs and ability to understand and analyze flow and solidification examples
- Strong problem solving skills
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.