Sheet Metal Technician
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Sheet Metal Mechanic
The Sheet Metal Mechanic will be responsible for carrying out all forming and precision manufacturing procesess for sheet metal components used on SpaceX vehicles.
- Use of Amada HDS, HG and RG series press brake machines to form and finish sheet metal components
- Read, interpret and execute blueprints and other detail engineering drawings and manufacturing protocols
- Carry out metal finishing procedures on finished components
- Use of pinch roller machines to roll large sheet metal plates
- Manufacture of sheet metal arcs, cylinders and cones
- Use of overheard cranes, forklifts and other resources to stage and move parts
- Ensure all finished components meet the highest quality and inspection standards
- Follow all safety procedures and protocols in manufacturing environment
- High school diploma or GED
- 3 years of sheet metal forming experience for aerospace components
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5 years of sheet metal forming experience for aerospace components
- Understanding of sheet metal patterns and layouts
- Experienced setting up and running complex bending and forming operations on precision machines such as the Amada HDS, HG and RG series
- Skilled in use of programming feature on press brake machines, especially with regards to bending at angles, step bends, back gauge trans between steps, etc
- Understanding of blueprints, work instructions and geometric tolerances
- Experienced in holding close tolerances on parts as stipulated by engineering drawings
- Bump form experience
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. unassisted for some assignments
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required for some assignments
- Must be able to work all shifts, overtime, and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.