Senior Avionics Mechanical Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SENIOR AVIONICS MECHANICAL ENGINEER
- Own mechanical design, analysis and test of a phased array antenna and its support structure from concept through on-orbit operation
- Perform thermal, structural, and tolerance analysis using hand calculations and numerical simulation tools
- Develop and execute qualification, acceptance, and life test plans. Perform root-cause analysis for thermal, shock and vibration failures
- Perform concurrent engineering, developing production processes and supply chain in parallel with design effort
- Develop and document processes for engineering tasks
- 8+ years of 3D CAD experience
- 5+ years of experience in high-performance electronics packaging
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with thermal, shock and vibration testing
- Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering or aerospace engineering
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proficiency with Unigraphics/NX
- Proficiency with structural and thermal analysis tools
- Proficiency with Femap and NASTRAN, Ansys, Thermal Desktop, or SINDA/FLUINT
- Experience designing avionics for volume production, with a focus on design for manufacturability
- Experience designing for CNC machining, casting, molding, and finishing processes
- Experience selecting materials and finishing processes
- Experience with reliability analysis and test methods
- Experience as a technical or team lead
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.