Harness Design Engineer - Satellites
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
HARNESS DESIGN ENGINEER - SATELLITES
Electro-Mechanical engineer responsible for end-to-end design and development of Harness assemblies for the next generation of SpaceX space vehicles.
- Design and create 3D harness models within CAD environment
- Create proof of concept/ prototype parts, and participate in failure analysis
- Investigate, plan, design and develop harness to meet technical requirements in compliance with program constraints including cost and schedule
- Develop requirements, design, oversee fabrication and integration of harnesses for spacecraft
- Pro-actively communicate and coordinate with engineers, designers, and analysts including multiple other subsystems to negotiate interfaces
- Interact with others to perform cross-disciplines trade studies and analysis of alternatives through application of discipline-specific expertise
- Prepare and present harness subsystem design, architecture and implementation plans at various design team meetings and reviews
- Define mechanical bill of materials and configurations of top-level harness assemblies for spacecraft
- Responsible for design through fabrication and performance validation of harness assembly
- Create wire harness installation drawings, formboards, manufacturing and fabrication orders and wiring diagrams when necessary
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical, electrical or aerospace engineering
- 1+ years of electro-mechanical wire harness design experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to interpret pertinent harness requirements from electrical wiring schematics to create wire lists, create harness assembly drawings, select parts and materials for flight harness assemblies, perform trade studies, prepare mass estimates, coordinate fabrication, assembly, testing and qualification of hardware
- Familiarity with industry and/or academic practices and standards across a range of applications related to electrical connectors and wire for spaceflight applications. Pertinent practices include selection of wiring based on current de-rating, voltage drop analysis, shielding effectiveness, temperature environment, outgassing and mechanical strength
- Demonstrated ability to select electrical interconnects and shielding to meet signal integrity and EMI/EMC requirements
- Technical expertise in capabilities, selection and qualification of components used in flight spacecraft cable harness designs. Components include connectors, backshells, wire, contacts, splices, solder, overshields, terminal lugs and coax products.
- Experience using 3D CAD Harness design and PLM/PDM software
- Able to work well in an integrated, cross-site, collaborative team environment across engineering disciplines
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.