SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SpaceX has a strong belief that launch vehicles and spacecraft can be both cost effective and highly reliable. Our Falcon 9 Quality team is key to our pursuit of that goal and more specifically also our pursuit of manned spaceflight. The department works in a cross-functional fashion with all other technical teams on a variety of exciting projects, and has great exposure to leadership and the organization as a whole.
- Provide detailed in-process inspections on launch vehicle metallic structural assemblies, using detailed drawings, computer-aided design models, and established processes to verify conformance to design requirements.
- Communicate and help resolve quality related issues as they relate to the Falcon 9 department.
- Document production non-conformances in accordance with prescribed procedures and processes as required.
- Support quality management system policies and procedure documentation, assess compliance to company and industry standards, initiate and lead continual improvement and lean manufacturing initiatives.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years experience in a launch vehicle or aircraft structural assembly environment.
- Experience working with material review board and root cause/corrective action systems.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience reading and interpreting design drawings or computer-aided design models.
- Strong knowledge and experience working with design data systems, manufacturing enterprise resource systems, electronic databases, and paperless work instructions.
- Strong team building and communication skills. Ability to effectively communicate with engineering and production groups.
- Thorough knowledge of the AS/ISO family of standards, especially AS9100C
- Strong technical writing skills, ability to communicate effectively with management and departments, and fundamental problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently with a strong work ethic, be innovative, detail oriented, possess initiative, be positive, and be people oriented.
- Proficient with Word, PowerPoint and Excel. A demonstrated comfort with personal computers and willingness to learn specific software applications is preferred.
- Excellent communication and team-building skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced /cross-functional environment.
- Bachelor's or Associate degree in a technical or engineering field is preferred.
- Military experience is preferred.
- Airframe and Powerplant License is highly preferred.
- Strong understanding of safety programs and occupational safety hazard regulations and requirements.
- Practical experience working within quality management systems (AS9100 and ISO 9001).
- Must be able to lift at least 25 lbs unassisted.
- Must be willing to travel.
- Must be able to climb ladders and work in tight spaces.
- Must be willing to work 1st Shift (5:00am-3:30pm) or 2nd Shift (3:30pm- 2:00am).
- Must be willing to work all shifts, overtime, and weekends as needed.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.