Senior Flight Platform Software Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SENIOR FLIGHT PLATFORM SOFTWARE ENGINEER
As a flight software engineer on the OS Platform team, you will be creating software that is used to design, develop, launch and operate SpaceX flight systems. You will engage with other SpaceX engineers to discover the needs of the mission and code highly reliable software that turns the mission into a reality. You will be responsible for the complete lifecycle of the software you create, from development to testing to operation during a mission. You will accept a large degree of personal responsibility, work on awesome stuff and every day be completely baffled as to how you ever worked anywhere else.
• Develop highly reliable and available software systems
• Board bring-up of next-generation avionics computers
• Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts and quantify technical constraints
• Write high quality structured bare metal and Linux-based software for embedded processors (e.g. ARM, PowerPC, x86, etc.)
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline and 4+ years of experience in systems-level C (kernels, device drivers, hypervisors)
• 6+ years of experience in systems-level C (kernels, device drivers, hypervisors)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Experience writing Linux kernel code for real-time systems
• Fluency in POSIX shell script and Python
• Have shipped embedded software in high volume products or real-time products that require high reliability and fault tolerance
• Significant understanding of embedded software principles and ability to contribute in design sessions
• Thorough knowledge of systems, computer architecture, software development, networks, and electronics
• Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization and unit testing
• Effectively worked as a team member and in large code bases
• Creative approach to problem solving and exceptional analytical skills
• Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment that includes working with changing needs and requirements
• Excellent leadership, communication and teamwork skills
Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.