Thermal Engineer, Reusable Thermal Protection Systems
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
THERMAL ENGINEER, REUSABLE THERMAL PROTECTION SYSTEMS
SpaceX plans to revolutionize the launch market through use of reusable technology to drive down price and increase accessibility. Atmospheric reentry and the extreme environments associated are one of the top challenges of making a reusable spacecraft. The Thermal Engineer, Reusable Thermal Protection Systems will tackle some of the most vital systems to protect the spacecraft from reentry while allowing for rapid reuse and economical re-flight.
- Develop materials necessary to make thermal protection systems reusable for thousands of low earth orbit reentry flights on future SpaceX vehicles.
- Develop robust and affordable manufacturing processes for reusable thermal protection materials scalable to SpaceX’s thermal protection systems usage needs.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, physics, or related technical discipline.
- 5 years direct experience with design and development of reusable thermal protection systems for spacecraft.
- 5 years direct experience with manufacturing reusable thermal protection systems for spacecraft.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in engineering, physics, or related technical discipline.
- Ability to interact with engineers from other disciplines to develop loads, requirements and constraints for thermal protection systems materials.
- Deep understanding of ceramic insulation and heritage ceramic thermal protection materials and systems.
- Deep understanding of manufacturing ceramic thermal protection systems and the opportunities to reduce cost and complexity.
- Understanding of state-of-the-art thermal protection systems and where development and research is heading in the future.
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- Must be willing to travel to launch and recovery sites as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.