Ground Station Engineer II
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
GROUND STATION ENGINEER II
In order to operate the SpaceX satellite constellation, a global network of ground stations and gateways will need to be deployed. This position is a critical part of the team that is responsible for the ownership and development of the ground systems which will be the hub of communications for the satellite network. This role brings hardware and software together to support the operation of a complex satellite network.
You are the engineer that other engineers can count on; you are technical; you attack every problem with enthusiasm; you remove hurdles. You are a self-starter, team player, have the hunger to venture into unknown areas to make the system work.
- Design, install, and maintain SpaceX satellite ground communication hardware
- Develop an integration and test plan for various parts of the satellite ground systems
- Follow all hardware through conception/design, procurement/production, integration/installation, validation, and maintenance
- Create, organize, and maintain documentation for all aspects of the ground station design
- Conduct design reviews and work with relevant subject matter experts (RF, networking, software, etc.) to meet all requirements
- Provide budgetary forecasts for various aspects of the project
- Bachelors of Science degree in electrical engineering, aerospace, physics, computer science, or civil engineering
- Experience designing and building RF communication systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience working with electromechanically, software controlled systems
- Competence in IP networking concepts
- Working knowledge of Linux operating system
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the year
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshooting complex electrical and mechanical systems
- Integration and test of hardware systems
- Experience with RF, electrical, and networking test equipment (spectrum analyzers, vector analyzers, oscilloscopes, etc)
- Field support and project leadership
- Experience in ground infrastructure in support of satellite communications (SATCOM)
- Creative approach to problem solving and exceptional analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment that includes working with changing needs and requirements
- Excellent communication skills
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.