Sr. Battery Manufacturing Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SENIOR BATTERY MANUFACTURING ENGINEER
Our aim is to design, manufacture, and validate the highest performance, lowest cost, and fundamentally safest batteries in the Aerospace Industry. We’re looking for the right person to bring equal vision, leadership, and execution in the transition from proof-of-concept to rapid and scalable production. This role is embedded within Design Engineering and focuses on Manufacturing, as we believe the hardware design and manufacturing processes are inherently inseparable.
- Provide leadership in the Production Ramp-up of new product lines. This including setting strategic goals, and executing tactical project management to meet program requirements.
- Perform as a hands-on engineering liaison between Design Engineering and Production. Move hardware designs and manufacturing process from concept, through validation, and into production.
- Develop proof of concept manufacturing processes, process controls, and in situ verifications. Specify equipment, coordinate with suppliers, and demonstrate process capabilities.
- Introduce robotics and automation as justified by cost and quality.
- Design and produce engineering drawings for precision tooling and test fixtures. Interfaces include but not limited to mechanical, thermal, and electrical.
- Support the development of SpaceX manufacturing standards.
- Troubleshoot and disposition fabrication issues on prototype and production assemblies on an aggressive production schedule. Participate in failure analysis to drive to root cause and implement preventative actions.
- Update and validate designs in response to manufacturing optimization, parts obsolescence, and system requirement change.
- As necessary, participate in hardware validation, including the development of vacuum chambers, thermal control systems, battery cycling equipment and fatigue testers.
- Bachelor of Science in electrical, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in hardware development, production or test experience.
- Professional experience with tooling design in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing (New Product Introduction) as part of a cross-functional team.
- Demonstrated experience implementing Design for Manufacture and Design for Test.
- Working proficiency with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Demonstrated experience with 3D CAD Modeling Software – (examples: NX/Unigraphics, Solidworks, Catia)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Masters of Science in electrical, mechanical, manufacturing or materials engineering.
- MFG process experience:
- Experience with epoxy bonding processing including surface preparation, epoxy mixing, and automated dispensing.
- Experience with resistance, ultrasonic, and laser welding.
- Experience with vision recognition tools.
- Automation Experience:
- Basic competency with Python and SQL databases.
- Experience with semi-automated manufacturing and data management including robotics.
- Battery Test Experience:
- Experience with Lithium Ion Battery acceptance, qualification, and characterization test methods.
- Experience with battery cycling equipment and data management.
- Product Dev Testing:
- Experience with Vacuum Chambers and thermal control systems.
- Experience with accelerated lifecycle test methods and analysis, including thermal and mechanical testing.
- Experience with non-destructive test techniques including modal (vibration) excitation, dye penetrant, acoustic microscopy, CT-scan, thermography, eddy current inspection, etc.
- Experience with failure analysis techniques including metallographic cross sectioning.
- Experience with material characterization including EDS, XRF, FTIR, DSC, DMA, TGA.
- Hardware design:
- Experience using NX/Unigraphics software.
- Ability to identify and analyze production process improvements for rate and quality.
- Hands-on engineer with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware.
- Demonstrated capability solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Experience in a fast-paced, iterative design environments within the consumer electronics, mobile handset, medical devices, aerospace, marine or automotive industries.
- Work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- Some travel required.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.