Principal Wireless Protocol Software Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PRINCIPAL WIRELESS PROTOCOL SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- Design, code, maintain, test and document the link-layer protocol for the Satellite Communications Network
- Collaborate with the MAC protocol design team for protocol development
- Work with the PHY and Network teams to seamlessly integrate the link-layer within the Network stack
- Integrate the link-layer with simulation infrastructure
- Participate in architecture, design and code reviews and provide peer feedback
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 15+ years of experience in hands-on embedded C/C++ software development for communications protocols
- 4+ years of work experience in any of the L2, L3 protocol stack layers in broadband access technologies such as: WiFi, UMTS, LTE or satellite broadband
- 4+ years of experience with embedded Linux software development
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s Degree in CS, CE, EE or related field
- Experience in Multithread/Multicore programming
- Experience with systems integration and testing methodologies
- Experience with current software development processes and tools including Agile, TDD, BDD, CI, Git
- Experience in Hardware/software integration like DMA, MMIO, etc
- Experience with JTAG, SWD debugging
- Experience in modeling and validating MAC protocols using simulation tools like NS3, OPNET or other
- Skilled in troubleshooting and tuning of component hardware, software, networking and communications protocol problems
- Understanding of network layer components such as IPv4, IPv6, Mobile IP, routing, forwarding, etc.
- Proficiency with network monitoring protocols and tools such as SNMP, RMON, Wireshark, Ethereal
- Industry technical certifications a plus
- Scripting ability with Python or similar
- Experience with modern encryption and decryption methods and their implementation
- Experience in development of very high performance SW with minimum delay and limited response time
- Able to consistently contribute effort, leadership, and creative thinking to solving complex and significant problems in a collaborative fashion
- Able to demonstrate the ability to work concurrently on multiple complex and sometimes ambiguous problems
- Able to communicate complex concepts, problems and solutions clearly and effectively to all levels within the organization
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.