Production Manager – Dragon Propulsion Components
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PRODUCTION MANAGER – DRAGON PROPULSION COMPONENTS
- Lead and manage a staff of 30+ employees per shift (up to 60 on 2 shifts).
- Manage the assembly, test, modification, and repair of production assemblies in order to guarantee achievement of on time delivery, cost and quality targets.
- Ensure a strong focus is placed on safety to achieve excellent safety performance with the team
- Develop, execute, and track technician training to ensure all skillsets are met to perform required operations the Dragon components area.
- Use quality metrics to continually improve the quality output of the manufacturing team. Play a leading role in ensuring root causes for quality issues are identified and appropriate improvement actions are put in place.
- Review work instructions, and make change recommendations when needed to improve processes.
- Assess, staff, and vet the appropriate skillset needed.
- Achieve cost targets by improving labor efficiency and driving design for manufacturability improvements.
- Develop, initiate, and enforce system policies and procedures.
- Monitor labor hours and overtime, and implement improvement plans and time management with staff.
- Conduct capacity planning of equipment and personnel.
- Coordinate with Engineering and other departments to minimize production interruptions.
- Think creatively – question the status quo, while following documentation and maintaining prescribed quality standards.
- Develop and assure adequate machine maintenance schedules and back-up spares availability
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field or 5 years of experience as a manager in a production environment.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working on manufacturing, design, and process development of mechanical/electro-mechanical assemblies.
- Minimum of 3 years managing a team of technicians.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proven capability in improving labor efficiency.
- Strong leadership and mentoring skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels in the organization, including production technicians, engineering, and executives.
- Experience bringing teams and processes from development to production, including collaborating with design and manufacturing engineers.
- Adaptability in constantly changing assignments and fast-paced work environment.
- Demonstrated track record of using forward thinking to take an operation from the status quo, to implementing new advancements and elevating processes.
- Experience monitoring, tracking, and continually improving total cost equation.
- Proven experience and ability to read, interpret, and follow fluid schematics (engineering drawings, circuit layouts, and parts list) and mechanical assemblies (mechanical drawings and parts lists).
- Intimate knowledge of propulsion valves and/or the ability to quickly work towards achieving strong product knowledge.
- Hands-on experience with fluid and/or gas handling systems.
- Knowledge of precision machining and manufacturing of precision parts.
- Experience using test instrumentation and control components (e.g. pressure transducers, thermocouples, resistance temperature detectors, relays, solenoid valves, etc.).
- Able to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 lbs. unassisted
- Able to travel for short and extended trips as needed (Up to 10% travel)
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.