Propulsion Composites Process Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PROPULSION COMPOSITES PROCESS ENGINEER
SpaceX is seeking an engineer to assist in the development and operation of a cutting edge manufacturing facility for satellite propulsion systems. The facility will create in-house manufacturing of core SpaceX technology. This individual will be responsible for partnering with all aspects of our development teams to ensure that we have capability to quickly turn around high-quality, high-precision components for uses in our satellite program.
- Product design: collaborate with design engineers to design components and processes that achieve high quality, high rate, and low cost products. Deliverables include time studies, process and equipment cost trades, and DFM.
- Process development: capture component and process specifications that fully control the manufacturing process. Develop process control documentation including shop floor instructions, machine code, PFMEA, and process control plans. Develop process qualification plans using detailed design of experiments. Conduct process development that fully validates production processes in short time-frames and at low cost.
- Process facilities and equipment development: specify, design, procure, install, validate, maintain, and calibrate process facilities and equipment including any tooling, fixtures, and process monitoring equipment required to produce high quality parts
- Process monitoring & improvement: perform routine validation and maintenance of process control documentation to ensure a controlled process. Identify key performance metrics and perform process monitoring and NDT inspections required to demonstrate that the process is controlled and producing high-quality, low cost components on time and with low defect rates. Report on process metrics and drive to improve GR&R, CPK, and PPK. Identify process quality, time, and cost improvement opportunities and develop business justification including time studies, return on investment, and implementation and validation plans. Work with design engineers to develop new and improved processes without interruption to the production line including process development and validation with offsite suppliers and facilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- 5+ years of experience with composite process development and production
- 5+ years manufacturing composite pressure vessels including winding, curing, inspection, and testing
- Previous experience setting up composite winding and curing equipment
- Previous experience designing composites tooling
- Previous experience with RTM and VARTM processes
- Previous experience testing pressure vessels
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in the field of process engineering, industrial & operations engineering, materials engineering, or mechanical engineering
- Proficient in process control techniques of Minitab, SPC, DoE, CPK/PPK, MSA
- Lean / six sigma training
- Experience with resin chemistry
- Experience determining material allowables for composites
- Development of process specifications
- Design of experiments for process validation and control
- Process documentation in mixed human and machine readable forms
- Process monitoring including statistical process control and NDT
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for weekends
- Must be willing to travel for short and extended trips
- Must be able to do repetitive assembly operations, such as grasping, standing, lifting, bending, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying
- Must be able to climb ladders and work in tight spaces
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs unassisted
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.