Manufacturing Development Engineer, Composites (Dragon)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER, COMPOSITES (DRAGON)
As a Manufacturing Development Engineer at SpaceX, you will have the opportunity to utilize your knowledge, experience, and creativity to develop novel solutions at the cutting edge of space technology. You will work on spacecraft that delivers cargo to the International Space Station, and ultimately extend humanity’s reach beyond the earth and moon. You will have the opportunity to use your creative engineering problem solving and interpersonal skills to accelerate hardware production and increase the quality of high performance spaceflight hardware.
- Draft and design repairs for composite structures to meet ultimate, fatigue, and corrosion requirements.
- Daily coordination and on-the-spot problem solving, work instruction clarification, and direction for shop floor production supervisors and technicians.
- Effective task prioritization and communication with multiple customers and stakeholders in a fast-paced environment.
- Define, coordinate, and evaluate Non Destructive Testing (NDE) processes and results such as tap testing, ultrasonic scanning, laser shearography, infrared thermography, and mechanical impedance.
- Define and execute design-for-manufacture and process improvements on existing designs to accelerate builds and optimize part quality and yield.
- Write, update and optimize manufacturing planning documentation, create standard repair documents to allow efficient rework of non-conforming hardware.
- Coordinate with stress and design engineers to clarify, understand design intent, and reverse engineer hardware.
- Bachelor's degree in material science, mechanical engineering, materials engineering or aerospace engineering.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Two years or more of experience problem solving a composites production environment.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to quickly and effectively assess issues and hold ups, prioritize and schedule work when demands are very high.
- Hands on experience performing composite repairs such as scarf and step repairs on sandwich panels, hands on experience performing NDE testing.
- Must be able to work long hours and weekends when necessary.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.