Materials Engineer, Ceramic Matrix Composites
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MATERIALS ENGINEER, CERAMIC MATRIX COMPOSITES
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to determine proper materials selection for manufacturing
- Assist in the development of high temperature materials and coatings
- Characterize materials to determine structure, performance, and in-service behavior
- Operate vacuum furnaces, cure ovens, and laminating presses
- Hands-on composite fabrication (including lamination, bagging, thermocouples, and vacuum connections), vacuum bag processing, bonding, and oven/autoclave curing
- Process resin formulations for advanced prepreg materials including use of mixers, devolitilazation, and prepreg equipment
- Provide thorough process documentation and experimental data logging
- Draft test matrices and execute planning for specimens and sub-element
- Interface with technicians to maximize workflow in laboratory environment
- Bachelor’s degree in materials science, physics, chemical engineering or other engineering discipline
- 2+ years of hands-on experience working with ceramic materials processing
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in materials science, physics, chemical engineering or other engineering discipline
- Hands-on advanced composites manufacturing experience including “out of autoclave” prepreg systems
- Ceramic Matrix Composite experience, including CVD/CVI, and PIP
- High temperature materials processing for ceramics, metals, and coatings
- Mechanical testing experience for composites
- Analytical equipment experience including DSC, TGA, LFA, SEM, XRD
- Experience with NX/Unigraphics, Teamcenter, and PDM systems for component and tooling design
- Position requires standing up to 4+ hours a day, and working directly with the hardware on the floor
- Position requires stooping, bending, and standing
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends as necessary
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.