Lead Manufacturing Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Falcon Lead Manufacturing Engineer – Formed Structures
As the Lead Manufacturing Engineer for Formed Structures at SpaceX, you will have the opportunity to utilize your knowledge, experience, and creativity to develop novel solutions at the cutting edge of space technology encompassing spin forming, heat treating, and machining of aerospace materials for tanks and nozzles, and assembly of machined components into major structural assemblies. You will work on launch vehicles that will ferry humans to and from the International Space Station and ultimately extend humanity’s reach beyond the earth and moon. You will own the relationship between our development and production teams and provide input into the design and development of new and existing hardware, taking a lead role in manufacturing and integration on our current and next-generation launch vehicles.
- Lead a team of manufacturing engineers and technical writers in the production of formed structures
- Oversee all process functions, document control, and continuous improvement
- Aggressively develop and implement process improvements and controls to ensure flight reliability
- Fully develop and implement future state production that reduces build cost
- Create capital/facility justifications for large projects and manage through implementation and runoff
- Set goals and objectives for team members for the achievement of operational results
- Ensure policies, practices, and procedures are understood and followed
- Coach and support professional development of direct reports
- Bachelor of science in mechanical, aerospace, manufacturing, welding or materials engineering
- 3+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment with responsibility for machining, heat treating, or forming processes
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years of experience leading a team of 3+ individuals either as a project leader OR as direct reports
- Knowledge of the basic principles of chemistry, engineering, fluid dynamics and mechanics of materials
- Demonstrated exceptional performance through successful completion of impactful projects in manufacturing processes/equipment
- Functional knowledge of NDT techniques for material evaluation.
- Experience in process development, value stream layout, PFMEA, and Error-Proofing
- New Product Development / Introduction
- Lean manufacturing principles
- Position may require long hours and weekend work
- Will sometimes be working directly with the hardware on the floor and will have to be comfortable stooping, bending, and standing
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.