Materials Technician - Thermal Lab
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MATERIALS TECHNICIAN - THERMAL LAB
- Perform operation, maintenance, and care for thermal/analytical testing equipment
- Perform work and provide results for various thermal/analytical test instruments including: dynamic and thermal mechanical analysis, thermogravimetric analysis, differential scanning calorimetry, dilatometry, laser flash analysis, rheology and infrared spectroscopy
- Use thermal testing software for data collection and data report generation to accurately show material properties
- Perform detailed documentation of testing parameters, equipment setup, and other possible variables
- Machine various materials to produce thermal test samples with precise and small dimensions as little as 1mm
- Create work orders for parts that cannot be machined individually, and expedite the process
- Maintain and use precision calibrated tools including micrometers, calipers, scales, etc.
- Schedule service contracts for equipment used in the laboratory
- Work with purchasing to acquire supplies needed for thermal analysis
- Work with engineering to execute testing
- General lab upkeep including cleaning, organizing, inventory management, etc.
- 2+ years of experience working in a thermal testing lab
- 2+ years of experience working in a machine shop
- Associate’s degree in engineering, math or science, or 3+ years of professional experience in a materials testing/evaluation focused role within the aerospace industry
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to multitask and rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a fast-paced, challenging work environment
- Strong computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook), Atlassian JIRA, and work order systems
- Knowledge of thermal testing setups and instruments
- Machining experience including mill, lathe, router, tile saw, etc.
- Knowledge of machining various materials including polymers, composites, metals, and ceramics
- Experience with CNC machining
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work off-shifts and available for overtime and weekends if needed with minimal notice (this is a non-regular occurrence)
- Ability to wear appropriate PPE for thermal/cryogenic testing and machine shop environment
- Ability to lift 25 lbs unassisted
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are required to perform the functions of this position
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.