Materials Technician (Composites)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MATERIALS TECHNICIAN (COMPOSITES)
- Composite fabrication (including mold preparation, lamination, bagging, thermocouples, and vacuum connections)
- Setup and operation of hot bond composite repair systems
- Vacuum bag processing, bonding, and oven/autoclave curing
- Running and maintaining cure ovens and temperature loggers
- Operating machining equipment, mills, routers, lathes, and grinders (preferably CNC program capable)
- Processing documentation and experimental data logging
- Test sample preparation
- Performing composite repairs
- Operating test equipment (instron, impact test frame, pressure proof, leak, thermal, etc.) per test plan, and documenting results
- Ensuring all test equipment/measurement tool calibration is scheduled and performed
- High school diploma or GED
- 2+ years of experience with layup, bonding, or assembly of composites
- 2+ years of machining experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with filament winding processing
- Experience with Non Destructive Testing/Inspection
- Experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings
- Knowledge/experience of strain gage installation
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions, and standard operating procedures
- Ability to thrive in a development environment, and maintain a high attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to communicate well with team mates and engineers to understand requirements and objectives
- Creative problem solving skills, and ability to be self-directed and motivated
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.