Manufacturing Engineer - Wire Harness
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Manufacturing Engineer – Wire Harness
- Perform a hands-on engineering and liaison role between the Harness design team and our production organization as SpaceX works to implement new designs into the manufacturing phase
- Become the first-responder for production related non-conformances, drive to root cause and disposition according to manufacturing policies
- Update designs and processes when necessary in response to manufacturing issues, parts obsolescence, and system requirement changes
- Participate in design reviews acting as an expert in design for testability, design for manufacturability, yield improvements, supplier capabilities assessments, quality control, etc
- Prepare product and process reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends
- Prepare engineering documentation necessary for the transition from development to production including schematic diagrams, bills of materials, suitable alternate parts lists, mechanical drawings, assembly procedures, and test procedures
- Drive lean projects to improve the manufacturing process to eliminate waste, reduce cost and improve yield
- Bachelor's degree in engineering
- Experience modeling with 3D CAD software (for example – NX/Unigraphics, Catia, Solidworks)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, industrial, aerospace or manufacturing engineering
- 3 years of professional experience in a manufacturing environment working within a recognized quality system (e.g. AS9100, ISO9001)
- Experience with automotive, aerospace or marine harnessing a plus
- Demonstrated professional experience providing engineering and manufacturing support for the production of highly complex electronic products
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing as part of a cross-functional team
- Experience using NX/Unigraphics software
- Experience interpreting and creating component and assembly drawings to ASME Y14.5 standards
- Experience designing tooling in a manufacturing environment
- Six Sigma Belt
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight
- Programming experience in python, SQL, and web languages a plus
- Experience in fast-paced iterative design environments within the consumer electronics, mobile handset, medical devices, aerospace, marine or automotive industries
- Capable of solving complex manufacturing problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Knowledge of ERP systems, Work Order creation/management and BOM Structures
- Proficiency creating and completing Lean Projects (6 sigma, DMAIC, Deming Cycle)
- Must be willing to travel up to 10% of the time
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.