Propulsion Development Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PROPULSION DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
Work with brilliant, passionate engineers to tackle difficult problems and push the boundaries of rocketry. This is the team that will engineer the rocket engines that will take mankind to Mars.
- Design, Build and Test the most advanced American rocket engines ever produced
- Own critical spaceflight hardware – every engineer at SpaceX assumes profound responsibility for their hardware
- Travel to Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg Air Force Base to support the flight of your hardware
- Develop test plans in support of our Texas rocket test facility and analyze test results as your hardware is pushed to its limits
- Work closely with commercial and governmental customers to ensure 100% mission success
- Interface with our world-class production team to ensure that your designs are successfully translated into the fleet of rockets that is revolutionizing access to space
- Bacherlor's degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience using CAD to design parts/assemblies
- Experience developing hardware (success in going from concept to working machines)
- Experience working with fluid systems
PREFFERED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Liquid rocket engine development experience
- 3+ years of experience at a nimble engineering organization or in a highly technical position that required a scrappy, entrepreneurial manner to accomplish tasks with tight time or budget constraints
- Deep understanding of thermodynamics, compressible and incompressible flow, thermochemistry mechanics and/or materials
- Experience certifying commercial products for governmental use
- Professional experience using Siemens NX (Unigraphics), ANSYS or Fluent
- Understanding of engineering fundamentals and the ability to perform basic analysis
- Great attitude in the face of extreme challenges
- Willingness to travel in support of launching and testing of hardware
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.