Mechanical Engineer - Satellite Mechanisms
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER – SATELLITE MECHANISMS
- Design of various satellite mechanism systems.
- Development of trade studies to identify optimal configuration of various mechanism assemblies / drive systems, including use of hand-calcs to inform initial designs.
- Build CAD designs (concept level to detail design).
- Conduct simulation analyses (dynamics, stress, thermals).
- Create part manufacturing requirement documents, drawings, specifications.
- Participate in test procedures and verification plans.
- Prepare detail content for technical design reviews.
- Build and maintain documentation of bill of materials, mass property models, material lists.
- Bachelor of Science in mechanical or aerospace engineering.
- 4+ years of experience in design, analysis and spaceflight qualification of mechanisms and electro-mechanical systems.
- 2+ years of experience working with electro-mechanical systems, including motor drive electronics.
- Previous work experience in specifying and qualifying materials and components for space flight (some or all of: Motors, bearings, Lubrication systems, geared systems, actuators, hold-down-release mechanisms, hinges, dampers)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Advanced knowledge of rigid and flexible body dynamics and vibrations.
- Experience with having designs tested in support of flight qualification (Vibe, Shock, Thermals, T-Vac, Life).
- Advanced degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
- Proficient in 3D CAD Design (NX preferred), stress analysis and Mathcad (or equivalent) simulation tools.
- Experienced application of Tolerance Analysis, GD&T, and DFX.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Previous experience in high volume design and manufacturing of electro-mechanical systems.
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.