Buyer - Machined Components
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars
Buyer – Machined Components
Overall responsibilities are to support engineering and production for purchases of simple to complex CNC highly engineered machined components to manufacture SpaceX Vehicles
Buyer will be able to:
- Execute sub-commodity/commodity strategy
- Source machined components and negotiate effectively to support cost, quality, and delivery commodity goals
- Support long term agreement negotiations with strategic suppliers
- Lead supplier quality, development, and performance teams to execute the strategic Procurement vision
- Support Engineering, Production, and New Product Introduction Procurement teams when determining best value suppliers, NPI Sourcing plans, Make vs. Buy, Should Cost, Buy complete strategies, and Lead times, etc.
- Build cross functional teams and champion continuous improvement initiatives for cost, quality, and delivery
- Ensure continuity of supply through effective supplier management and lead escalation meetings with suppliers for parts shortages to develop recovery plan
- Drive design for manufacturability reviews with support from supplier quality and engineering
- Champion value add engineering projects to improve part quality, delivery, and cost
- Proactively update SpaceX management and engineering teams on all critical supply issues
- Develop and maintain strong supplier relationships
- Visit supplier’s facilities and accurately assess technical capability, equipment, and capacity
- Place purchase orders for MRP planning messages for production parts
- Resolve purchase order discrepancies and invoice issues
- Analyze procurement data and report metrics to improve supplier performance.
- Ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures and government regulations
- Completed bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, economics, or supply chain
- 3+ years of technical procurement experience
- Experience reading datasheets, drawings, and blueprints
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of ERP Systems such as WarpDrive applications, SAP, or Oracle
- Understand process planning, materials and processes applications, quality procedures, Teamcenter 10, inventory management, and CapEx planning
- Manufacturing or production line experience
- Proven track record of leadership and team building skills
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Knowledge and skills in current technologies and applications, i.e. MS Office Suite, SQL, Access, etc.
- Effective written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly and prioritize appropriately to meet customer and company needs.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, and able to respond quickly to a fast-moving and ever-changing environment
- Conducts all activities with the highest of integrity
- Able to travel for short and extended trips as needed
- Able to work long hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000