Principal Lead Software Engineer - Network
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PRINCIPAL LEAD SOFTWARE ENGINEER - NETWORK
As a Principal Lead Software Engineer on our Networking team, you will lead the team responsible for the design of a low latency, high capacity broadband network. You will be involved from pre-design exploratory analysis all the way through partitioning between hardware and software, implementation, validation, optimization, deployment and support of the network.
The success of SpaceX’s satellite internet business depends on the quality of the software that you and your team produce. That includes reliability, fault tolerance, throughput, security and user experience.
If you seek a fast-paced, dynamic environment; if you thrive on solving difficult, fuzzy problems where resolutions have high impact; if you love managing through persuasion and if you love the challenge of building something from scratch, then this position might be your next career step.
- Lead the development of the network architecture, requirements, specification and design of the low latency, high capacity satellite-based global Software Defined Wireless Network
- Create highly available, fault-tolerant network software implementation that operates for long periods of time with minimal maintenance at scale
- Co-develop reliable interfaces to external hardware including RF and network equipment
- Develop simulations modules and unit tests for a variety of systems and environments
- Interface with other software teams to build a common infrastructure and development process
- Recruit, interview, and build a team of exceptional network and software engineers
- Bachelors of Science degree in computer science, engineering, math, or another related science discipline
- 10+ years of experience with modern networking protocols, their application and traffic types: TCP/IPv4/IPv6, gaming, voice, video, broadcast, on-demand streaming, etc.
- 10+ years of using C++ or similar Object-Oriented language in shipping products
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years designing and shipping large scale distributed systems
- 7+ years of experience in leading high-performance teams of 15+ people and delivering stellar results
- Extensive knowledge of network topologies, routing algorithms, modeling, simulation, router design, queueing, resource arbitration, and packet prioritization, security including the effects on latency and bandwidth through the network
- Experience with security issues associated with distributed systems and large-scale consumer internet services
- Demonstrated ability to deliver a product from concept to production, ability to work in a dynamic environment that includes working with changing needs and requirements, work in a highly cross-functional leadership role
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Familiarity with RF systems and software defined radios
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.