Propulsion Engineer, Thermal and Fluids Analysis
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
As a propulsion engineer, you will make sure that fluid consumables are in the right place and at the right conditions throughout SpaceX’s missions. You will make engineering decisions to improve vehicle performance and reliability.
- Per-mission analysis on attitude control systems, propellant conditions, tank pressurization systems etc. to maximize performance while staying robust.
- Automate workflow above to reduce engineering investment in per-mission analysis.
- Pursue performance/robustness improvements.
- Pursue operational simplicity and seek to reduce burden on other groups at SpaceX.
- Produce quality documentation of your work to reduce miss-rate and improve efficiency.
- Review peer work.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or related technical discipline.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master of Science in engineering or related technical discipline.
- Experience with 0-D and 1-D thermal/fluid networks.
- Working knowledge of scripting languages.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to deliver against an aggressive schedule.
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.