Sr. Embedded Software Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. EMBEDDED SOFTWARE ENGINEER
This position entails creating software that is used to design, develop, launch and operate SpaceX flight systems. You will engage with other SpaceX engineers to discover the needs of the missions and code highly reliable software which turns the mission into reality. You will be responsible for the complete lifecycle of the software you create, including development, testing, and support.
The software subsystems include software that runs on-board SpaceX rockets and spacecraft, simulations, distributed data management, and analysis tools. The problem domains span embedded, fault tolerant, flight control, web, mobile, cloud and big data computing. The products we develop run on low-power space computing platforms, mobile devices, desktop systems and in data centers.
You are the engineer that other engineers can count on; you are technical, you attack every problem with enthusiasm; you remove hurdles. You are a self-starter, team player, have the hunger to venture into unknown areas and code and make the system work.
- Deliver highly reliable system-level software for hardware components.
- Participate in driver development, bring up and hardware enablement on Linux.
- Optimize workloads running on the system for performance and power.
- Package and build system integration.
- Act as an internally facing contributor, working closely with hardware, test, production, and software teams.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math or science discipline.
- 6 years or more of professional experience building, debugging, and shipping embedded systems using Linux, Unix, Mac, or real time operating systems.
- 6 years or more of professional experience with C or C++.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Creative approach to problem solving, exceptional analytical skills and engineering fundamentals.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and debug firmware.
- Familiarity with SoC level software.
- Shipped high performance, low latency software development.
- Familiar with one or more build environments such as buildroot or OpenEmbedded.
- Comfort with scripting languages such as Python.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.