Materials Engineer (Manufacturing)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MATERIALS ENGINEER (MANUFACTURING)
- Interface with a variety of engineering groups to identify proper material selection for engineering structures, components, and subassemblies
- Investigate opportunities for improving existing processes, equipment, and technology for attaining organizational cost reduction and continuous improvements goals
- Conduct hands-on laboratory testing and failure analysis of vehicle hardware and raw stock materials
- Perform rigorous process and product failure analysis and do research and development work on the hardware
- Perform prototype process trials, materials analysis, and properties characterization
- Develop technologically advanced products and/or processes that enhance product performance
- Bachelor’s degree in material science, metallurgy, mechanical engineering, physics or another engineering discipline
- 2+ years of professional experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experience with electronic materials including encapsulants, solders, printed wiring board materials and conformal coating
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in material science or another engineering discipline
- Extensive experience with the manufacture and assembly of electronic printed circuit boards
- Professional experience with aluminum, high strength steels, titanium or nickel based super alloys
- Expert level first principle engineering knowledge of metals and materials
- Knowledge of physical and mechanical properties as well as evaluation methods (tensile strength, hardness, fatigue, fracture toughness, creep, stress rupture, SEM, non-destructive inspection, spectroscopy)
- Detailed knowledge of one or more of the following production processes: forging, casting, forming, coating, plating, heat treating, fusion welding, friction stir welding, EB welding, and additive manufacturing
- Experience with technical review of materials processing and a sound understanding of the interaction between process variables and the resulting material performance
- Demonstrated track record of success in a rapidly growing, fast paced and highly competitive environment
- Personality and drive to execute in a scrappy entrepreneurial environment that operates under tight timelines and aggressive schedules
- Effective written and interpersonal communication skills. Must be capable of interacting with and conveying concepts within all level of our organization
- Strong academic foundation coupled with hands on experience
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.