Electro-Mechanical (Harness) Design Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ELECTRO-MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER
- Develop the electro-mechanical design of wire harnesses within our family of Falcon launch vehicles and Dragon capsules
- Meet with multi-disciplinary stakeholders to gather harness design objectives and requirements
- Develop harness design solutions within a 3D NX CAD environment, and manage technical trade studies to meet stakeholder objectives as well as adhere to internal design standards and requirements
- Generate electrical schematics to support both flight and qualification designs
- Own vehicle level harnessing mechanical assemblies and drive to closure all systems integration trades related to those assemblies
- Perform analysis and physical testing (both mechanical and electrical) of harnessing with respect to thermal, loads, vibration and shock to ensure full qualification for flight
- Document and communicate the design, analysis and testing results thoroughly and clearly via design reviews
- Create and release on schedule, appropriate harnessing manufacturing documentation and drawings
- Interface with harness production and integration teams to ensure final harness designs can be produced and installed on schedule in accordance with overall project goals
- Perform R&D investigations and trade studies to push wire harness design to new boundaries in terms of mass and cost savings
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 2+ years of electro-mechanical wire harness design experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s Degree in an engineering discipline
- Proficiency with Siemens NX and Teamcenter
- Experience with wire harness 3D design, wire harness installations drawings and formboard creation, wiring diagrams, 3D modeling of complex top-level assemblies, 3D modeling and analysis of avionics enclosures and secondary structure
- Wire harness component selection and qualification experience
- General wire harness analysis, testing and qualification experience
- Strong team working skills with a proven ability to effectively interact and collaborate with other engineering disciplines and excellent attention to detail
- Capability to solve complex design problems to tight schedules with minimal supervision
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and space exploration, with a strong desire to revolutionize wire harness design
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Strong sense of personal accountability and drive to succeed
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.