Materials Engineer- Coatings
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MATERIALS ENGINEER – COATINGS
- Provide guidance and expertise in coating and lubricant selection and properties for flight hardware
- Design and carry out experiments to qualify coatings for use on space hardware in extreme conditions
- Perform prototype surface treatment and coating process trials and characterization
- Find and qualify new coatings for wear resistance, high temperature application, and corrosion protection
- Evaluate coating vendors and suppliers
- Bachelor’s degree in materials engineering, chemistry, or chemical engineering
- 3+ years of experience with surface treatments and coatings
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD in material science with focus on surface science, coatings, or tribology
- Strong desire to mentor and grow employees
- Expertise with coatings for corrosion protection such as aluminum anodize, electroless and electrolytic plating, and conversion coatings
- Experience with surface treatments and coatings in an aerospace application
- Understanding of wear mechanisms, designing for wear performance including use of lubricants, and characterization of wear
- Demonstrated track record of success in a rapidly growing, fast-paced, and highly competitive environment
- Personality and drive to execute in a scrappy entrepreneurial environment that operates under tight timelines and aggressive schedules
- Effective written and interpersonal communication skills
- Capable of interacting with and conveying concepts within all levels of our organization
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.