Materials Engineer- Metallurgy
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MATERIALS ENGINEER – METALLURGY
- Provide guidance and expertise on metal usage and processing to design and manufacturing engineers
- Provide material selection support for improved performance and manufacturability of mission critical hardware
- Find and qualify new metal alloys or novel manufacturing methods for metallic hardware
- Assist with in-house manufacturing methods such as spin forming, roll forming, and age forming
- Work with vendors on qualification and property development of custom manufactured forgings and castings
- Perform prototype process trials, materials analysis, and properties characterization
- Bachelor’s degree in materials engineering or metallurgy
- 3+ years of professional experience working with aerospace materials, or PhD with a strong focus on metallurgy
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD in material science or materials engineering
- Strong desire to mentor and grow employees
- Expert first principle knowledge of mechanical and physical metallurgy
- Detailed knowledge of aerospace materials including high strength aluminum, nickel alloys, and titanium
- Experience in an aerospace materials and processes engineering role
- Experience with metallography and characterization techniques
- Understanding of metal processing methods and correlation with material properties
- Understanding of welding and brazing
- Demonstrated track record of success in a rapidly growing, fast-paced, and highly competitive environment
- Personality and drive to execute in a scrappy entrepreneurial environment that operates under tight timelines and aggressive schedules
- Effective written and interpersonal communication skills
- Capable of interacting with and conveying concepts within all levels of our organization
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.