Materials Technician- Ceramic Maxtrix Composites
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MATERIALS TECHNICIAN- CERAMIC MATRIX COMPOSITES
- Laminate and layup of composite parts
- Trim and finish composite and composite metallic assemblies
- Prepare parts for bagging, including placement of bleeders, thermocouples, probes, and vacuum connections
- Vacuum bag processing, bonding, and oven/autoclave curing
- Make basic layouts on parts or assemblies in order to establish reference points and to check dimensions using calipers, micrometers, precision scales and torque wrenches
- Run vacuum heat treating equipment, e.g., furnaces, pumps, pneumatic/hydraulic plumbing
- Surface prep using grit blast, hand abrade, and power abrasion techniques
- Record data and characterize materials produced using spreadsheets
- Assembly of structures including setup, bonding and fastener applications
- High school diploma or GED
- 2+ years of experience with layup, bonding, or assembly of composites
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Basic machining and fabrication skills (for shop aids, simple tools, etc.)
- Ability to perform basic machine maintenance
- Experience with composite materials (prepreg, wet layup)
- Ability to learn new skills quickly, and creatively apply experience to solve new problems
- Experience operating a ply cutting machine
- Experience operating a laser projector to layout laminated assemblies
- Experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions, read Travelers and SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures)
- Attention to detail and accuracy while working in a fast-paced production environment
- Experience with ceramic matrix composite processing
- Standing for long periods of time, climbing up and down ladders, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25lbs unassisted
- Must be able to work in tight spaces
- Must be willing to work overtime and weekends when necessary
- Must be willing to travel when necessary
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.