Automation & Controls Engineer (Production)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AUTOMATION & CONTROLS ENGINEER (PRODUCTION)
- Work on concurrent projects in different stages of completion along with troubleshooting and commissioning of vendor built assemblies
- Support improvement projects for existing production automated systems, including adding ERP integration where required
- Support the maintenance team in resolving complex breakdowns of production automated systems
- Manage vendors when required to ensure they deliver the highest quality, fully maintainable automated systems to SpaceX
- Design, program, build and commission small to large-scale automation systems for production tooling, machinery and robotic cells
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or technology
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience or equivalent internships in the design and production of automation and controls systems
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with PLC, HMI & SCADA programming
- Minimum of 2 years of electrical schematic CAD experience (EPlan, AutoCad, etc.)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with motion control, robotic programming and/or work cell design
- Hands on experience building & commissioning high quality electrical control panels & electro-mechanical systems
- Working knowledge of NEC, NFPA 79, UL508A codes
- Experience with P&ID, hydraulic, pneumatic system design
- Experience with Allen Bradley, Beckhoff, Siemens programming
- Solid understanding of common manufacturing processes and machines, including mills & lathes, both manual and CNC
- Experience modeling with 3D CAD software (e.g. NX/Unigraphics, Catia, Solidworks)
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to work in fast-paced, demanding iterative design and manufacturing environments
- Must be open to working extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.