Manager, Software Engineering
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Manager, Test Software
We are looking for a talented, creative and driven software leader with a proven track record in leading software teams. You will architect, develop, maintain and lead the implementation of software for hardware in the loop ground test systems at the McGregor Rocket Development Test Facility. The ability to closely collaborate with software developers, data acquisition engineers, information technology and test engineers is paramount.
The success of this business depends on the quality of the software that you and your team produce. That includes reliability, fault tolerance, throughput, security, and user experience.
If you seek a fast-paced, dynamic environment; if you thrive on solving difficult, fuzzy problems where resolutions have high impact; if you love managing through persuasion and if you love the challenge of building something from scratch, then this position might be your next career step.
- Manage the Test Software engineering team: set priorities, plan work, hire exceptional software engineers, and mentor new employees
- Partner with other engineering groups to develop roadmaps for future test software projects and improvements
- Partner with peer software teams to ensure lessons learned, processes and best idea wins principles are followed
- Lead complex software design projects under tight deadlines
- Oversee the development process and quality, investigate anomalies, and drive corrective actions
- Lead and participate in architecture, design and code reviews
- Balance production vs development resources, priorities, and roadmaps
- Prepare and deliver technical briefings to internal and external customers
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, math or physics
- Must have a minimum of 3 years’ experience with C++ and Object-Oriented (OO) Design
- Must have a minimum of 3 years’ experience with personnel management, specific to software development
- Advanced degree in computer science or computer engineering
- Ideal candidate will have played a major role on groundbreaking projects, designs first thought impossible or systems that really pushed the envelope
- Experience leading a team of software engineers to deliver stellar results
- Strong preference for individuals who have commercial software development experience; everything from big data to gaming to operating systems
- Experience with continuous integration, continuous release, and push-on-green development cycles
- Agile software development experience leveraging the Atlassian tool suite
- Expert level coding skills in C, C++, Python, and/or Go, solid OOD skills
- Experience with National Instruments software (LabVIEW) and hardware products
- Ownership of real time software applications which interface with data acquisition and control hardware
- Experience engineering software systems of large scope and complexity
- Background in developing user-facing software applications
- Knowledge in building software based on service-oriented architecture
- In-depth understanding of utility computing deployment and operations on services like AWS and OpenStack
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional leadership role
- Able to ramp up quickly on new technologies
- Able to excel in a highly dynamic and fast paced work environment
- Must be highly technical and detail oriented
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Passion for advancing space flight and challenging the impossible
- Must be willing to work extended hours when needed; typical work hours are 50-55 hours per week; flexibility required
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.