Senior Mechanical Engineer - User Terminals
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER – USER TERMINALS
- Define requirements and write test specifications to satisfy outdoor deployments of Satellite communications terminals worldwide (residential and commercial).
- Overall mechanical design to ensure design meets all technical, functional, and performance requirements, within cost targets.
- Execution of verification testing as defined by the mechanical specification and test plan
- Engaging supply base and optimizing design for reliability and cost
- Interacting with multiple disciplines (RF, EE, Reliability, Manufacturing, Test, Business, and Supply-Chain) to optimize product solution.
- Building costed Bills of Materials to trade design options – fabrication, assembly, test, deployment, reliability, maintenance.
- Ensuring development adheres to schedule, developing proof models and prototypes as needed for test validation prior to tooling commitments.
- DFM and tooling reviews with selected vendors, tooling release and bring-up on schedule and within cost goals.
- PPAP sign off, and tooling release for volume production
- Interfacing with CM’s manufacturing and assembly teams to ensure manufacturability for throughput and high reliability.
- Ensuring design verification test completion for high volume production release reviews
- Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering.
- 8+ years of work experience with electronics packaging for outdoor products.
- 3+ years of work experience in 3D CAD Design.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Masters of Science in mechanical engineering.
- Previous experience with GR-3108-CORE / 487-CORE or equivalent
- Excellent design and analysis capabilities; FEA/structural analysis, Thermal simulation/analysis (CFD)
- Demonstrated knowledge of thermal-reliability implications.
- Experienced with mechanical design for low loss radomes, and design for EMI/EMC compliance.
- Deep experience and responsibility with multiple high volume manufacturing techniques (metals, plastics, composites, finishes).
- Extremely competent with Tolerance Analysis / GD&T for high volume production.
- In-depth experience with DFSS, PPAP’s, and thorough understanding of statistical process controls.
- Familiarity with product global regulatory certification and approvals.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills.
- Good planning and organizational skills with strong interpersonal and communication abilities.
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.