Mechanical Engineer - Tooling
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER - TOOLING
- Develop production tooling for SpaceX Satellite Constellation
- Manage, design, analyze, and create drawings of several different projects in a fast paced environment -- projects will vary in size and scale
- Handle a wide range of technical problems. Some examples: assembly fixtures, material handling, carts, off-loaders, rotisseries, test fixtures, and custom machines
- Liaise with flight design teams to drive design for manufacturing.
- Develop robust plans to ensure that the designed tooling is developed in line with volume production requirements
- Ownership of tool manufacturing, coordination with vendors, inspection, equipment installation and commissioning.
- Set, implement, and maintain schedules and budgets to ensure project completion.
- Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering discipline
- 3+ years of work experience OR mechanical-related projects or experience will be considered
- Prior work experience on structural analysis including the ability to perform hand calculations
- Prior experience designing mechanical systems using 3D CAD software and 2D drawings complete with full GD&T
- Prior experience applying common manufacturing and machining processes where it applies to design (such as welding, machining, assembly, inspection, etc)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong expertise in design for manufacturability and design for assembly including experience taking products from development design to high-volume production
- Solid understanding of common tooling materials, GD&T, and tolerance/stack-up analysis
- Solid understanding of common manufacturing processes and machines including mills, lathes, manual and CNC, and hands-on machining experience
- Experience with custom machine design: motor, actuators, linear rails, bearing, lifting/rigging, etc
- Experience with Unigraphics (UGS/NX) and Teamcenter CAD/PDM systems
- Experience with FEMAP Pre/Post processing, NASTRAN Solver, ANSYS Workbench, NX Advance Simulation
- Experience with manufacturing process development, facility and line layouts, process failure mode effects analysis, and error proofing
- Experience with designing quick change tooling and general rate-focused tooling
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.