Propulsion Designer- Temporary Position
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PROPULSION DESIGNER– TEMPORARY POSITION
- Consult with manufacturing engineers, thermal and structural analysts, development engineers, materials and process engineers, and other product team members to refine concepts into viable prototypes to be further pursued for testing, development, qualification, and flight
- Produce results that meet requirements, applicable specifications, and are able to be manufactured
- Use ANSYS to conduct basic finite element analysis to iterate the concept until it reaches a level of maturity where it can be studied by the Propulsion Analysis group for final, comprehensive analysis as defined by the project objectives
- Take a general conceptual layout of a system or component device, and break it down into detailed parts that balance requirements for operability, reliability, cost, weight, producibility and several other criteria
- Generate detailed part production drawings that are fully dimensioned and GD&T verified to meet functional requirements by use of tolerance stackups
- Interface with vendors or in-house fabrication and assembly teams during design and prototype hardware builds.
- Incorporate any produciblity lessons learned by design change and drawing revision
- Support development testing efforts by incorporating design changes if necessary to further improve hardware performance or reliability
- Responsible for configuration management at the system or subsystem level using Teamcenter
This is a temporary position with SpaceX, for the length of time as stated, and is subject to change with minimal notice as business needs dictate.
- LENGTH OF POSITION: 4 months
- LOCATION: Hawthorne, CA
- SHIFT: 1st shift
- 2+ years of professional design experience using a commercial CAD software package (e.g. NX, Pro-E, Solidworks, etc.)
- Associate’s degree or higher in a technical discipline
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline
- Demonstrated ability to design parts, tooling, and test fixtures necessary to build rocket engine hardware
- Experience with high strength, oxidation resistant, propellant compatible materials for use in cryogenic and high temperature environments
- Experience with manufacturing capabilities (typical tolerances) and processes: turning, milling, drilling, reaming, EDM, grinding, brazing, welding, 3D printing
- Experience with mechanical seals (metallic and elastomeric o-rings) and threaded fasteners
Experience with high pressure fluid tubing systems and typical fittings for aerospace hardware and applicable standards
- Basic understanding of NDT techniques and how to design hardware for ease of inspection
- Fundamental understanding and ability to implement GD&T
- Ability to do hand calculations to roughly size structural elements of a design
- Ability to pre-size components using finite element modeling
- Preference for candidates currently residing within a commutable distance of the work location. Relocation assistance is not available for this role
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends when necessary to support project timelines
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.