NDE (Non-Destructive Evaluation) Level III Specialist – Eddy Current (EC)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
NDE (NON-DESTRUCTIVE EVALUATION) LEVEL III SPECIALIST – EDDY CURRENT (EC)
As an NDE Level III technical expert at SpaceX you will be required to interface across the business, building a link and providing solutions between initial R&D, engineering, production and quality assurance in the development of specifications, process, procedures and people to support targets and goals such as cycle time, right first time manufacture/assembly, probability of detection and indication/defect reduction. Principle technical understanding of your specific area of expertise and a wide industry knowledge of best practices, tools, equipment and procedures are needed to ensure we have the best possible solutions deployed to maintain compliance and ensure our launch vehicles maintain reliability and performance for our customer.
- Technical Production Support:
- System level production maintenance and support
- Tooling/system calibration
- Production cell technical oversight: Daily meetings, trouble shooting
- Continuous improvement: Process Efficiency, Speed Accuracy
- Technology Development:
- Systems and tooling selection
- Systems and tooling qualification
- System introduction project management
- Process Development:
- Hardware and software qualification/testing
- Method process documentation
- Part specific technique development, testing, documentation and deployment
- Development of customer relevant reporting packages for multiple data sets as well as single sample results
- Engineering drawing interpretation and where applicable engineering specification definition support
- Technician Training and Development:
- Level I and Level II technician qualification: Written test definition, invigilation, and administration of written/practical, general and specific tests
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a Level III in eddy current
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Engineering related degree: e.g. materials science, aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering
- 5+ years of experience as a level III in at least 2 methods including 1 advanced method
- 5+ years of aerospace experience
- Operational experience utilizing a range of electromagnetic inspection systems
- Operational experience in the use of single coil inspection probes and associated systems
- Knowledge and understanding of SNT TC-1-A and NAS410 standards
- Proven track record in the training and development of others
- Knowledge of AMS, AWS/ASME, ASTM, etc.
- Problem solving tools and techniques: practical problem solving, Eight Disciples (8D), etc
- Experience with lean principles, Kaizen, continuous improvement, and 5s
- Knowledge of NASA 5009 standards
- Basic computer skills: Microsoft office applications - Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Experience with CAD packages such as Siemens NX, Catia, Pro-E
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs unassisted, bend, stretch, stand for extended periods of time, climb stairs, reach, twist, sit, and walk
- Must be willing to work extended hours and on weekends if needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.