SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Work as part of a traveling team of elite individuals building and improving the mechanical systems at our rocket launch facilities. Be there on the ground floor, getting your hands dirty and contributing directly to the success of future launches.
- Perform inspection of tooling in the field by measuring either tool features or a combination of tool features and corresponding piece part dimensions primarily using laser trackers on small to large scale parts
- Use appropriate measuring equipment as required/available to assure adequacy and accuracy of reported results to include mechanical means
- Analyze and report 3D metrology data using Verisurf and or Excel
- Communicate with internal customers to resolve inspection, engineering and manufacturing challenges
- Perform documentation review and verification of certifications, specifications, and conformance to design and specification requirements
- Use in-depth familiarity of GD&T to interpret blueprints at all assembly level
- High school diploma or GED
- 5+ years of recent experience inspecting tooling
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate’s degree in a technical discipline
- Light machining and precision mechanical assembly experience strongly preferred
- Able to read blueprints and detect design and drawing flaws
- Experience using inspection equipment, such as, micrometers, gauge blocks, dial indicators, height gauges, CMM, inspection arms and laser trackers
- Previous experience inspecting tooling in a high paced manufacturing environment
- Solid computer skills in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Must be available to work all required shift hours and be available to work overtime, and weekends, as needed
- Must pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- Must be willing to travel for months at a time to our launch sites in Florida, California and Texas
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.