Launch Engineer, Vehicle Integration
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LAUNCH ENGINEER, VEHICLE INTEGRATION
- Develop and execute procedures for the checkout and integration of flight hardware, customer spacecraft and ground support equipment
- Lead launch vehicle and payload processing activities
- Help develop, build, and maintain vehicle and spacecraft payload processing facilities
- Closely collaborate with engineering staff from other departments and highly skilled technicians
- Seek out solutions to technical problems with the local team and with the larger SpaceX workforce
- Interact with a variety of departments across the company and touch aspects of the rocket
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with complex, mechanical systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Hands-on professional experience with aerospace vehicles and payloads, automotive assemblies, aircraft assemblies, or marine assemblies
- Strong background with hazardous chemical/material handling
- Experience with writing test plans and test procedures
- Hands-on experience with one or more of the following: launch vehicle or spacecraft integration, operations in 100,000 class or cleaner cleanrooms, test operations with gases/fluids, or data acquisition setup and making field measurements
- Ability to work well in a team environment and communicate clearly and accurately with a wide range of people
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Position is subject to pre-employment and random drug and alcohol testing
- Flight hardware is built in tight quarters, physical dexterity is required
- Physical effort including standing, lifting and carrying moderately heavy materials or equipment (15 to 50 lbs.)
- Willingness to work outdoors
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed, particularly in support of launch campaigns
- Occasional travel may be required
- Must pass Cape Canaveral Air Force Station background check
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.