Avionics R&D Technician, Temporary
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIONICS R&D TECHNICIAN – TEMPORARY POSITION
If it’s electrical and it flies, chances are this team has helped build and test it. Avionics, or electrical equipment in Aerospace-speak, are the onboard brains behind the historic milestones our rockets and spacecraft have accomplished. From assembling flight electronics to prepping new sensor designs for test, our Avionics Technicians play a critical role in developing the electro-mechanical systems that will take us to Mars. Join the team to gain critical skills and certifications in aerospace electronics, work with distinguished mentors, and leave a mark on human space exploration.
- Fabricate and assemble high quality, high reliability wire harness and electromechanical assemblies
- Self-monitor work progress against area benchmarks and achieve on time delivery of all work
- Read, interpret and work from drawings as well as from controlled documentation and processes
- Cable harnesses: wiring diagrams, layout drawings, mechanical drawings, GD&T
- Assembly procedures and work instructions
- Schematics, engineering drawings, and parts list
- Record work performed on shop floor management system (ERP) as well as use e-mail (MS Outlook)
- Perform verifications of flight hardware and documenting results in a clear, precise and complete manner
- Assist with the development of production processes for first time production runs
- Assist with area efficiency improvement projects
This is a temporary position with SpaceX, for the length of time as stated, and is subject to change with minimal notice as business needs dictate.
- LENGTH OF POSITION: 9 months
- LOCATION: Hawthorne, CA
- SHIFT: First shift
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum 1 year of experience manufacturing wire harnesses in commercial, automotive, or aerospace industry
- Minimum 1 year of experience using electronics equipment (e.g. programmable power supplies, DMMs, oscilloscopes, etc.)
- Minimum 1 year of experience using basic mechanical and/or electronics hand tools
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate's degree
- Experience in fast-paced production environment working with flight hardware
- Experience in a high production environment with hands on experience fabricating harness, electro-mechanical assemblies, or prototype development
- Able to adapt to constant changing work assignments and fast paced work environment
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and teamwork skills
- Excellent concentration and attention to detail with outstanding work efficiency and accuracy
- Preference for candidates currently residing within a commutable distance of the work location. Relocation assistance is not available for this role
- Ability to work all shifts, and available for overtime and weekends as needed
- Standing for long periods of time, climbing up and down ladders, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs. unassisted
- Ability to distinguish colors is required.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.