Mission Integration Engineer, Payload Adapters
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MISSION INTEGRATION ENGINEER, PAYLOAD ADAPTERS
As SpaceX continues to pioneer reusable and flight-proven rocket technology, we’ve streamlined our vehicles to provide a common customer interface. The Payload Adapter Fixture, or PAF, mechanically connects a spacecraft to the launch vehicle while also providing the requisite commodities ranging from electrical power to air conditioning. However, some spacecraft require unique commodities or multiple satellites must be integrated on the same launch vehicle. The Integration Engineer within Commercial Mission Management will partner with production and launch engineers to develop custom hardware interfaces, integration and test procedures, and customer verification plans to meet these unique requirements.
- Develop and execute procedures for the checkout and integration of launch flight hardware, customer spacecraft, and ground support equipment.
- Lead payload processing activities including hardware build/assembly, testing, and operations.
- Closely collaborate with launch site staff, engineering staff from other departments, and highly skilled technicians on a daily basis.
- Interface with customers in meetings, tests, and joint operations.
- Closely collaborate with third-party vendors.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, physics, aerospace engineering or another engineering discipline.
- 2+ years of experience with complex, multi-disciplinary system assemblies. Past work experience, internships, and team/personal projects with satellites, aerospace vehicles/payloads, automotive, aircraft, or marine assemblies qualify.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proficiency in or hands-on experience with one or more of the following: launch vehicle or spacecraft integration; operations in 100,000 class or better clean rooms; test operations with gases/fluids/ordnance; data acquisition setup and field measurements.
- Ability to communicate clearly and accurately with a wide range of people.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Strong organizational, analytical, verbal and written communication skills including public speaking.
- Ability to be diplomatically persuasive or assertive when necessary.
- Highly skilled at taking in large quantities of information and presenting it in a clear and concise manner.
- Understanding of the engineering lifecycle.
- Ability to work with limited supervision to develop and manage many levels of program plans and schedules simultaneously.
- Must be willing to travel (approximately 10%) to other SpaceX locations, as necessary.
- Must be willing to work long hours and occasional weekends when necessary to support test or launch campaign timelines.
- Physical effort including standing, lifting and carrying moderately heavy materials or equipment (up to 30 lbs).
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.