Launch HVAC Engineer (Cape Canaveral)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LAUNCH HVAC ENGINEER (CAPE CANAVERAL)
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated reports
- Air conditioning cooling load calculations, heat loss calculations following ASHRAE codes
- Lead and/or contribute to design of HVAC systems for various facilities: office, large warehouse, rocket, and customer payload
- Confer with engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information
- Research and analyze design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications
- Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications
- Research, design, evaluate, install, operate, and maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems and processes to meet requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations to maintenance crew
- Develop the structural design of products, using drafting tools or computer-assisted design/drafting equipment and software
- Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and repair to ensure that machines and equipment are installed and functioning according to specifications
- Conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation, and performance of equipment, components and systems
- Recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions. Develop and test models of alternate designs and processing methods to assess feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications and necessity of modification
- Estimate costs and submit bids for engineering, construction, or extraction projects, and prepare contract documents
- Establish and coordinate the maintenance and safety procedures, service schedule, and supply of materials required to maintain machines and equipment in the prescribed condition
- Study industrial processes to determine where and how application of equipment can be made
- Use fluid dynamic, thermodynamic, and heat transfer scientific knowledge as required to design tubing and piping systems ranging in size from ¼” to 18” diameter
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering
- 5+ years of professional experience in design and/or maintenance of industrial HVAC systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with cleanroom design and maintenance
- Experience with panel circuit assignment and load center balancing
- Experience with system design, sizing, specification and installation of UPS systems, backup generators, and automatic transfer switches
- Familiar with HVAC/facility monitoring hardware and software
- Good response to challenges posed by short deadlines
- Intermediate level of experience with AutoCAD
- Intermediate level of experience with Microsoft Visio
- Ability to work in a high-concentration, high-stress environment, under possible extended work hours.
- Must pass Cape Canaveral Air Force Station background check.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.