Launch Engineer, Fluid Systems
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LAUNCH ENGINEER, FLUID SYSTEMS
- Help SpaceX achieve its long-term goal of creating the world’s first fully automated launch system
- Assist in the analytical design and development of propellant and pressurant systems required to launch the vehicle. The systems include liquid oxygen, RP-1, gaseous helium, gaseous nitrogen, hydraulics, water, and environmental control systems
- Assist in the analytical design, maintenance, and operation of the vehicle transporter erector (TE) including all of the TE hydraulic systems
- Perform pre and post launch operations on the vehicle and ground systems
- Use fluid dynamic, thermodynamic, and heat transfer scientific knowledge as required to design tubing and piping systems ranging in size from ¼” to 18” diameter
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 2+ years of project and/or professional experience in thermodynamics and heat transfer
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Advanced degree in mechanical engineering
- Strong working knowledge of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics
- Demonstrated expertise designing and operating hydraulic systems
- Demonstrated expertise designing and operating propellant and gas systems
- Experience designing and operating cryogenic systems
- Experience modeling fluid system prior to construction to increase system reliability
- Experience using and troubleshooting ground control systems required for remote operations and instrumentation feedback
- Able to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure, fast paced environment
- Self-motivated and directed with keen attention to detail
- Must be willing to travel to our launch sites in support of build out activities and launches; travel requirement is up to 15%
- Must pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.