Launch Technician, Launch Pad Systems
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LAUNCH TECHNICIAN, LAUNCH PAD SYSTEMS
We are currently looking for motivated, energetic, and enthusiastic mechanical technicians to maintain the launch pad mechanical and fluid systems in preparation for launch operations. These systems include hydraulics, high-pressure nitrogen and helium, and cryogenic systems.
In addition to the required experience below, our ideal candidate is someone who shows personal initiative and maintains their composure and a good attitude whether they are working with flight hardware or working with a shovel. SpaceX employees must be responsible, hardworking, and conscientious about the quality of work performed. We need people who are not afraid to make suggestions and won’t get discouraged along the way. Our strongest candidates are able to produce high-quality work in a timely manner while continually looking forward to needed process improvements, streamlining of work and cost savings.
- Fabricate and install fluid system components from a schematic or engineering drawing, including but not limited to:
- Ball valves
- Check valves
- Pressure regulators
- Pressure gauges
- Troubleshoot operational issues found during activation of fluid and mechanical systems
- Operate heavy machinery including forklifts and aerial platforms
- Work with a team of technician and engineers to ensure every system is built with the highest level of quality to support 100% successful launch of a multimillion dollar launch vehicle
- High school diploma or equivalent GED
- At least 3 years of experience using power tools in a professional capacity
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate's degree in aerospace technology or equivalent area of study
- Experience working at a rocket launch facility and supporting launch campaigns
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting complex fluid and mechanical systems
- Experience maintaining a propulsion test stand in the aerospace industry
- Military aviation experience as a propulsion or airframe technician
- Experience with orbital or structural welding
- Machining and metal fabrication experience
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- SpaceTEC Certification
- Familiarity with calibrated measuring instruments
- Experience using heavy equipment, including but not limited to, overhead cranes, forklifts, and manlifts
- Commercial Driver License (CDL)
- Ability to read, understand and follow detailed schematics, drawings, and instructions
- Ability to work with a team and independently
- Ability to pay close attention to details
- Ability to maintain a safe and clean working environment while adhering to company policies, quality policies, and industry standards
- Must pass Vandenberg Air Force Station background check
- Willing to work overtime, off-shifts, and weekends in support of critical operations
- General physical fitness is required for some work areas; flight hardware is typically built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required
- Ability to work at elevated heights
- Periodic work in extreme outdoor environments: heat, cold, wind, rain
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.