Mechanical Design Engineer (Thrust Structures)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
STRUCTURES ENGINEER, FALCON (THRUST STRUCTURES)
SpaceX is committed to developing reusable launch vehicles that will ultimately be capable of transporting humans to Mars and beyond. The thrust structures group is responsible for the complex assemblies that attach the engines to the first stage tank of our rockets. The team’s long-term goal is to design a structure that can be re-flown many times without refurbishment. This highly technical role will have responsibility over structures design of mechanical assemblies falling under the purview of the thrust structures group.
- Drive the design and development of primary and secondary structures for our current and next generation launch vehicles.
- Perform due diligence on designs including hand calculations, finite element analyses (FEA), and computer-aided designs (CAD).
- Run design reviews internally and participate in reviews with suppliers and customers.
- Own the prototype delivery timeline through inception, design, assembly and launch.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or related technical discipline.
- Experience with CAD and FEA software packages.
- Master of Science in engineering or related technical discipline.
- Experience with NX or other major CAD packages.
- Hands-on project experience, preferably as a team or sub-team lead.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Must be available to work long hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.