Launch Engineer, Payload Integration
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LAUNCH ENGINEER, PAYLOAD INTEGRATION
- Develop and execute procedures for the checkout and integration of launch flight hardware, customer spacecraft, and ground support equipment
- Lead launch vehicle and payload processing activities
- Help develop, build, and maintain vehicle and spacecraft payload processing facilities
- Closely collaborate with engineering staff from other departments and highly skilled technicians on a daily basis
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, physics, aerospace engineering or another related engineering discipline
- 2+ years of professional or internship experience with complex, multi-disciplinary system assemblies
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with hypergols
- Strong background with hazardous chemical/material handling
- Experience writing test plans and test procedures
- Hands-on experience with one or more of the following: launch vehicle or spacecraft integration; operations in 100,000 class or better clean rooms; test operations with gases/fluids; data acquisition setup and field measurements
- Ability to successfully complete a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI)
- Ability to perform work expectations and thrive in a high-stress environment
- Ability to communicate clearly and accurately with a wide range of people
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Physical requirements: overall mental fitness; the ability to work in a high-concentration, high-stress environment; good response to challenges posed by short deadlines
- Willingness to work outdoors
- Occasional travel may be required
- Physical effort including standing, lifting and carrying moderately heavy materials or equipment (up to 30 lbs)
- Typically 50-hour work weeks, schedule varies depending on site operational needs, flexibility required
- Must pass Cape Canaveral Air Force background check
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.