Lead Structures Technician
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD STRUCTURES TECHNICIAN
- Coordinate shop floor activity, including daily schedules and workflow
- Contain non-conformance issues including documentation of associated work
- Support and train a team of ~10 technicians
- Review work instructions and make change recommendations when needed
- Develop and implement efficiency improvement projects
- Modification, repair, assembly, and installation of the rocket and spacecraft
- Drill, ream, countersink holes in proper sequence and to correct size using hand and self-feed drill motors
- Apply sealant, alodine, primer, adhesives and other special finishes
- Handle and dispose of hazardous materials in approved manner
- Ensure conformance to shop floor standards
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum of 2 years of structural assembly experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience gained through the military or within an aviation manufacturing company
- Experience in a formal leadership role
- Experience leading a team of 3 or more technicians in a manufacturing production environment
- Experience with lean or 5S systems
- Experience determining root cause and mistake proofing
- High-volume manufacturing experience
- Experience with drilling, reaming, hone and countersinking straight and close tolerance holes
- Experience using various types of hand tools and/or hand-held power tools, floor-mounted power tools and precision measuring tools on structures materials
- Experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings, blueprints, and specifications
- Able to perform work assignments according to written work instructions
- Must be able to work all required shift hours, overtime and weekends, as needed
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. unassisted
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.