Launch Engineer, Launch Projects Engineering
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LAUNCH ENGINEER, LAUNCH PROJECTS ENGINEERING
The Launch Projects team is charged with laying the ground work for new launch initiatives and hardware development. This engineer will be integral to the creation of new hardware and strategies to further SpaceX’s goals of reuse and development of vehicles for Mars colonization.
- The ideal candidate will be able to autonomously lead/develop new hardware programs, and work extensively with outside vendors and regulators. Specifically:
- Lead/manage extensive ship-yard based build projects
- Oversee structural fabricators to maintain cost/schedule
- Ensure adherence to applicable oversight regulations including AFSPCMAN 91-710, ASME B31.3 and applicable USCG CFRs
- Develop complete specification and requirements documents both for internal and external use
- Lead the initial systems activation testing/sea-trials of new hardware designs
- Develop early system trade studies and present for executive approval
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Engineering design, build and/or test experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of experience in the off-shore maritime environment
- Familiarity with test-cells, data acquisition, and activation testing procedures
- Qualifications as a ship’s engineer or equivalent
- Experience developing build, scope, and requirements documents for shipyard work
- Approved operator of large turbomachinery
- Hands-on fabrication experience with rigging/carbon composites
- Experience with NX/TeamCenter or similar CAD software
- Experience with marine propulsion machinery and rotating equipment
- Demonstrated ability to excel in a leadership role
- Must be able to support travel of at least 25%
- Physically fit and able to support off-shore/maritime work
- Willing to work flexible/odd hours as necessitated by launch/mission timelines
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.