SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
- Trimming and finishing of composite and composite metallic assemblies.
- Assembly of structures including setup, bonding and fastener applications.
- Surface prep, using grit blast, hand abrade and power abrasion techniques.
- Laminate assemblies by determining proper placement of composite materials into molds.
- Prepare parts for bagging, including placement of bleeders, thermocouples, probes and vacuum connections.
- Vacuum bag processing, bonding, and oven/autoclave curing.
- Making basic layouts on parts or assemblies in order to establish reference points and to check dimensions using calipers, micrometers, precision scales and torque wrenches.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Minimum of 2 years with layup, bonding or assembly of composites with at least 1 year of experience with composite tooling materials (prepreg, wet layup) OR completion of the SpaceX Composites Apprenticeship Program.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with reaming and honing and/or countersinking of uniform close tolerance holes in proper sequence while using the correct tool for the job (e.g., rivet gun and bucking bar, drill motor, power screwdriver, C-squeeze, ratchet wrench, nut runner).
- Experience with Thermal Protection System (TPS) or Phenolic Impregnated Carbon Ablator (PICA).
- Experience operating a ply cutting machine.
- Experience operating a laser projector to layout laminated assemblies.
- Experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings, an understanding for drawing symbols, flag notes and general notes.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions, read Travelers and SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures).
- Attention to detail and accuracy while working within a fast-paced production environment.
- Standing for long periods of time, climbing up and down ladders, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25lbs. unassisted.
- Must be able to climb ladders and work in tight spaces.
- Must be willing to work all required shift hours and significant overtime when necessary.
- Must be willing to travel at least 10% of time.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.