Buyer - Strategic Sourcing, Machining
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Buyer, Strategic Sourcing – Machining
- Lead project initiatives for Central Procurement organization focused on machined parts and hardware.
- Utilize standard cost modelling to determine appropriate pricing structures where needed.
- Drive cost savings through leveraging volume pricing agreements with primary suppliers.
- Develop and implement strategies to drive supplier selection, qualification, commercial negotiations, contract development and contract administration activities.
- Identify opportunities that focus on cost reductions, efficiencies/quality improvements, risk mitigation, industry and supply trends and shifts in technology.
- Discover and partner with trustworthy vendors and suppliers focused on zero defect quality.
- Work with Supplier Quality Engineers (SQE) and cross-functional teams to develop strategies for obtaining first time quality throughout the supply chain.
- Evaluate suitability and stability of current and potential suppliers with regard to financial health, staffing, quality, throughput, technical capability, and reputation.
- Work closely with SQE team to analyze issue ticket trends and identify correct actions for strategic vendors.
- Work closely with Supplier Development Engineer (SDE) team and suppliers to develop and implement quality improvement action plans to proactively drive continuous quality improvement.
- Exercise sound business judgment in leveraging and implementing sourcing and procurement activities, including recommendations for alternative solutions that meet business priorities.
- Collaboratively work with Supply Chain team on sourcing strategy, market analysis and conducting trade-off analysis reviews and supplier roadmaps with engineers.
- Drive development of supplier and industry commodity profiles, market trends and strategies.
- Communicate and prepare value propositions associated with proposals to SpaceX executives, i.e. award preparation, cost reviews, reduction strategies and all critical supply issues.
- Build cross functional teams and champion continuous improvement initiatives for cost, quality, and delivery.
- Ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures and government regulations.
- Foster, manage, and maintain supplier partnerships, and monitor status of work being performed.
- Provide sourcing tools for day-to-day purchasing activities to vertical commodity teams.
- Visit supplier’s facilities and accurately assess technical capability, equipment, and capacity for rapid deployment of new product development and long term production.
- Conduct Quarterly Business Reviews (QBRs) with primary vendor base.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, engineering or similar technical discipline
- 3 years of purchasing and/or supplier management experience is required
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Strong influencing and customer service skills who are comfortable navigating ambiguity, collaborating with multiple teams and building strong relationships with stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities for increased competitive bidding, smarter supplier relationships and more efficient processes. Collaborate with commodity teams to speed up innovation.
- Proven track record of taking ownership, successfully negotiating preferred pricing and driving results.
- Must be a person of passion and integrity who has the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results including conducting all activities with the highest of integrity.
- Track record of issuing Vendor Pricing Agreements and Long Term Agreements (LTAs).
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Effective written, verbal and presentation communication skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and prioritize appropriately to meet customer and company needs.
- Must be detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to respond quickly to a fast-moving and ever-changing environment.
- Position may involve long hours and weekend work as needed
- Position may involve up to 30% travel, as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.