Senior Mixed Signal Design Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SENIOR MIXED SIGNAL DESIGN ENGINEER
The SpaceX mixed signal design engineers architect, design, and produce high performance mixed signal electronics for the world's most advanced launch vehicles and spacecraft. The team designs a wide range of avionics from RADARs and GPS receivers to sensor aggregators, video encoders, and highly integrated flight computers. We are pushing the boundaries of technology while also requiring the electronics to operate in the most extreme environments. Our fundamental goal is to allow humanity to explore the stars. Are you up for the challenge?
- Architect, design and develop space hardened mixed signal electronics that will support the functions of our launch vehicles and spacecraft.
- Duties include subsystem design, analysis, schematic capture, prototyping, bring-up, debugging, hardware bug tracking, functional verification and signal characterization.
- Support through production and test is expected.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or similar technical degree.
- 5+ years of professional experience with analog, digital and mixed signal design principles.
- Electrical engineering, digital, analog & RF circuit fundamentals and lab experience.
- Previous experience using RF related test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, vector signal analyzers, vector signal generator, and network analyzers.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering or similar technical degree.
- 7+ years of board level experience designing hardware from concept through production; strong emphasis on full life cycle development of new hardware systems not small incremental updates to legacy hardware.
- 7+ years of experience with designing and implementing mixed-signal circuit boards from concept through production using operational amplifiers, filters, analog to digital and digital to analog converters, power supply components, multi-GHz Serdes, DRAM interfaces (DDR4), I2C, Ethernet, SPI, FPGAs, ASICs, and processors.
- 7+ years of experience with designing both linear and non-linear circuits using phased-locked loops, vector modulators/demodulators, oscillators, mixers, filters, multipliers, synthesizers, low noise and/or power amplifiers.
- 7+ years of professional experience in analog to digital and digital to analog converters, amplifiers, power supply components and design, analog testing/troubleshooting techniques, and signal integrity, layout and grounding principles.
- 7+ years of professional experience with fast-paced projects.
- Knowledge of digital communication systems, spread spectrum, single and multi-carrier techniques and modulation types such as QPSK and QAM.
- Experience characterizing radio performance in microwave frequencies.
- Strong understanding of computers and programming languages (C/C++, Python).
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding startup atmosphere.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.